Michael W. Whisonant Jr.
Michael is partner with the firm of Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C. After growing up here in the Birmingham area, he attended Auburn University where he received his B.S.B.A. in Business Finance, graduating in 2007. Michael received his J.D. from Thomas Goode Jones School of Law in 2009, excelling to graduation in just 2 1/2 years. While at Jones, he was the recipient of the Eagle Law School Scholarship.
After passing the bar and joining the firm, Michael has become a zealous advocate for his clients and has excelled in the courtroom, obtaining not guilty verdicts ranging from felony cases where his clients were charged with murder to misdemeanor cases where his client was charged with harassment. Regardless of the offense, Michael knows that your case is important to you and will work vigorously to reach the best possible resolution.
Michael is also proficient in handling matters before various Administrative Agencies in the State of Alabama. Michael has represented professionals and organizations of all types: Dentists, Lawyers, Teacher, Doctors, Pharmacists, Pharmacies, Psychologists, and even Judges before Administrative Agencies who were seeking to reprimand or suspend the members privileges. When your professional license, permit, or registration is at risk before an Administrative Board or Agency your livelihood is at stake and Michael has the experience necessary to advocate on your behalf.
Prior to joining the firm Michael interned for the Honorable Sharon Blackburn, Chief United States District Judge for the Northern District of Alabama. Additionally, he also prosecuted cases in the 15th Judicial Circuit for the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office.
- Alabama, 2010
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2010
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2010
- Supreme Court of Alabama, 2010
Faulkner University, Jones School of Law, Montgomery, Alabama
- J.D. - December, 2009
- B.S. - May, 2007
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Business Administration
Past Employment & Experience
- District Attorney’s Office 15th Judicial Circuit: Montgomery, AL, Externship
- Dean & Barrett: Opelika, AL, Summer Law Clerk
- U.S. Federal Courthouse: Birmingham, AL, Externship with Chief Judge Sharon Blackburn
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, Eagle Law School Scholarship
- Pi Lambda Sigma Honor Society
- College of Business Dean's List
- Jurisprudence Committee Chair
- Top Lawyers in Alabama
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Young Lawyer's Association
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- The National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Phi Gamma Delta
J.C. v. State
G.M. v. State
Juvenile v. State
A.C. v. State
J.C. v. State
F.P. v. State
L.A. v. State
White Collar Crime