Jonathan Brown, “JB”, is an associate of the Birmingham, Alabama law firm of Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C. He concentrates his practice in criminal defense and personal injury cases.
After growing up in Denver, Colorado, he attended the University of Alabama obtaining a Bachelor of Art’s degree in Psychology and Criminal Justice in 2016. JB then graduated with his Juris Doctorate in 2019 from the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University.
While at Cumberland, JB was a member of the National Trial Team and The American Journal of Trial Advocacy. As a member of the Trial Team JB won two national competitions and placed high in others. JB also was a Merit Scholar in Criminal Procedure I, a Caruthers Fellow, and was on the Dean’s List every semester.
Prior to law school, JB worked for Joanne Jannik, P.C., before she was elected as District Court Judge in Tuscaloosa County. While in law school JB was a Summer Law Clerk at the Federal Public Defender’s Office in Birmingham, AL and at the Jefferson County Public Defender’s Office. Before joining the firm as an Associate JB was the Law Clerk here at Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C. doing research and writing motions and memorandums in several high-profile federal health care and federal fraud cases.
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. – May. 2019
- Honors: National Trial Team. 2017-2019
- Champion of National Trial Advocacy Competition (Michigan) 2017
- Champion of Regional National Trial Competition 2018
- Top 8 Lone Star Classic (San Antonio, Texas) 2018
- Runner up – Capitol City Challenge (Washington D.C.) 2019
- Honors: Member of The American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- Honors: Scholar of Merit in Criminal Procedure I
- Honors: Dean’s List 2016-2019
- Honors: Caruthers Fellow 2017-2018
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- B.A. Psychology and Criminal Justice – May 2016