Birmingham Embezzlement Attorney
Aggressively Defending Against Embezzlement Charges in Alabama
Embezzlement occurs when an individual takes or steals money, property, or assets legally belonging to another individual or company. It is a serious crime that can hold severe consequences. At Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C., our Birmingham embezzlement lawyer is here to assist you in navigating the complex legal landscape surrounding these cases.
Call Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C today at (205) 900-7714 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our embezzlement lawyer in Birmingham.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement is considered a white-collar crime that involves the misappropriation or theft of funds or property entrusted to an individual's care, typically in a position of trust or responsibility within an organization. This crime often occurs when someone with access to financial assets or resources diverts them for personal gain without permission or authorization. Embezzlement can take many forms, including altering financial records, skimming cash, or creating fraudulent transactions. Embezzlement cases can be highly intricate, involving extensive financial documentation and a thorough understanding of the accused's role within the organization.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in Alabama?
The penalties for embezzlement in Alabama can vary depending on the value of the property or funds embezzled and other circumstances surrounding the case. Generally, embezzlement is classified as a theft crime, and the severity of the charges and possible penalties will depend on the following factors:
- Value of the Property: The greater the value of the property or funds embezzled, the more severe the potential penalties. In Alabama, embezzlement charges can range from a Class A misdemeanor for property valued at less than $500 to a Class B felony for property valued at $2,500 or more.
- Criminal History: A person's prior criminal history can impact the penalties they face for embezzlement. Repeat offenders may face harsher sentences.
- Aggravating Factors: In some cases, aggravating factors such as using deception, abusing a position of trust, or involving multiple individuals in the embezzlement scheme can lead to more severe charges.
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Embezzlement charges often require proof of criminal intent. It may serve as a valid defense if you can demonstrate that you did not intend to steal or misappropriate funds or property.
- Mistaken Identity: The prosecution may have identified the wrong person as the embezzler. Providing evidence to establish your innocence can be a powerful defense.
- Lack of Evidence: We can challenge the evidence presented by the prosecution, including the chain of custody of financial records, to weaken their case.
- Procedural Errors: If law enforcement or the prosecution violated your constitutional rights at the time of the investigation or arrest, it could lead to the dismissal of charges or suppression of evidence.
- Negotiating a Plea Deal: In some situations, negotiating a plea deal with the prosecution may be the best course of action to minimize potential penalties and avoid a trial.
Contact Our Birmingham Embezzlement Lawyer Today
Facing embezzlement charges can be overwhelming, but with the right legal counsel, you can create a strong defense and fight for your future. Contact our Birmingham embezzlement attorney today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward securing the experienced legal representation you deserve. Your future is too important to leave to chance; trust us to guide you through this challenging time.
Contact Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C today to get started with our Birmingham embezzlement attorney.
Potential Reckless Murder
Notice of Order- 01-CC-1983-003916.00
State v. F.P.
White-Collar Crime & Elder Financial Abuse
State v. L.A.
Distribution of a Controlled Substance
State v. R.G.
I highly recommend this office and Michael Hanle especially!
I’m eternally thankful for Mr.Hanle. He got me out of a serious pinch and when I came to him he approached me very professionally and assured me that he could help me out and get things done. Sure enough he came through and was very informative and was by my side the entire time. Any time I had a question he answered it, straight to the point. I highly recommend this office and Michael Hanle especially!”
Thank you Richard Jaffe for all that you have done for me and my family!
“Because Mr. Jaffe invested so much time and care into my case, I can truly say that 6 years later I am living my best life!”
They kept me informed of what was going on the entire process of my case...
“They kept me informed of what was going on the entire process of my case, and delivered what was promised.”