Birmingham Theft Crime Lawyers
Defense for All Types of Theft Charges
Being convicted of theft crimes can lead to significant personal and professional consequences. In addition to severe criminal penalties and restitution, those convicted of theft often lose careers, job opportunities, social trust, and even the right to bear firearms. Anyone accused of a theft crime should seek immediate legal counsel, and a Birmingham criminal defense attorney from Jaffe, Hanle, Whisonant & Knight, P.C. will provide the knowledgeable representation you can trust.
Our attorneys have received numerous awards and honors and will provide defense solutions for all types of theft crimes, including:
- Theft of services
- Grand theft auto
- Identity theft
- Intellectual property theft
- Theft by deception
- White collar theft (embezzlement, wire fraud, theft of trade secrets, etc.)
Fighting For You at Any Level
There are four main levels of Alabama theft charges, all of which can carry severe penalties:
- Fourth-degree theft – Property valued at less than $500. This is a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in prison and up to a $6,000 fine.
- Third-degree theft – Property valued at between $501 and $1500 and is a class D felony.
- Second-degree theft – Property valued between $1501 and $2,500 along with certain types of property such as credit and debit cards, livestock, and firearms. This class C felony can mean between 1 and 10 years in prison and up to a $15,000 fine.
- First-degree theft – Property valued at more than $2,500, along with all motor vehicle theft and direct person-to-person theft. This is a class B felony punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison and up to a $30,000 fine.
Whether you are facing local or federal charges, we will look at all available evidence, including police leads, security camera footage, financial records, and witness statements. We keep clients well-informed throughout the process while allowing them to decide whether to go to trial, accept a plea deal, and other major decisions.
Our Birmingham criminal defense lawyers have a strong working relationship with local judges and prosecutors and will work to get charges dismissed or reduced while also letting you know what to expect if your case goes to trial. Thousands of people have counted on us in difficult times and we will provide the same help and direction to you.
Schedule a free in-person consultation today by contacting us at (205) 900-7714 to speak with a Birmingham criminal defense attorney.
No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.